14 March 2012

The Ides of March... Almost

Beware? I'm not sure what to think. This has been the winter that... wasn't. NOT that I'm complaining. We got a weird, early snowstorm on Halloween and then another one on Thanksgiving.

And then everything melted which NEVER HAPPENS until like... May.

And then we got a couple more mediocre snow storms; only one that was worthy of a school closure, but wasn't exactly complaint worthy.

And now it's the middle of March and the snow is... gone. I mean, there are a few patches here and there in the shady spots, but if I weren't looking at the calendar and if I wasn't living in Maine, I'd say that Spring has sprung.

We saw robins in our yard last week.

My neighbor's daffodils are popping up (ours aren't because remember nothing stays alive in our yard for long).

It was 60 degrees this week. Twice. And they're saying it will be in the mid-60s next week.

To use a modern acronym that very succinctly sums up my feelings about this: WTF??

I want to be happy about this, but it feels like a trick. Like, not only will the snow come back, set up camp and stay until the middle of June, but what, pray tell, does this mean for black fly season?

So Beware the Ides of March? Yeah, I'm feeling it a little bit today. But I'm also feeling the lack of a winter coat...

Copyright © 2012 - Paulla Estes

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Waiting with bated breath for the next instalment!