11 April 2012

Decisions, Decisions

We're in the thick of college decisions at our house. Our youngest daughter was accepted to 6 of the 8 schools she applied to, and was wait-listed to one. There's only school one that thought she was too smart for their crowd, but I won't mention any names. (UConn).

The final decision has come down to two universities, and as life and our financial situation would have it, it's the two schools which will be least expensive. Thankfully, one of those schools is her favorite and top choice, while the other is very high in the running. Ironically, the Maine state school to which she applied is no less pricey than the private school in New York nor the state school in North Carolina. Of course, the private school offered a scholarship, which brought its cost down, but out-of-state tuition at the state school in N.C. is the same price as in-state tuition in Maine. Something is definitely wrong with that picture if you ask me.

But somehow in these situations, nobody ever asks me.

Next week I will take her on a round robin trip from Maine to North Carolina to New York, and then the final decision must be made by May 1.

Our son is graduating from grad school next month and will soon start a new job teaching in Phoenix. Our middle daughter is taking a semester off to stay home, work, and make a few changes in her educational plans. They're grown up and finding their own way. I raised them fly out of the nest and to find their own way, yet, when I see them doing that, I can't help but wonder, "What was I thinking?"

Seriously, I'm proud of them all, but now I know why moms get grey hair. Thank God for Miss Clairol.

Copyright © 2012 - Paulla Estes

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Congrats to your daughter!! I just did the reverse trip with our daughter going from NC to New Hampsire and Maine. Her top choice is now UNH! Have a safe and fun trip!

connie said...

Welcome to the empty nesters, how about getting a dog and training???