27 April 2012

The Duke

This is what I see while I'm writing at my desk.


My in-laws brought this to us the last time they came for a visit. Understand that my husband is a huge John Wayne fan. HUGE. No really, H-U-G-E. He can tell you anything and everything you want to know about John Wayne.

When our kids have friends over for dinner, he will ask them if they know who John Wayne was. If they do not, they are promptly sent home with a video (usually True Grit), but this only after he rolls his eyes and tells them their parents have been negligent in not teaching them about the best American that ever lived.

No, I'm not kidding. This really happens. Has happened. Many, many times.

Often during the day if I ask my husband a question over text messaging, he will reply with, "Well I'll tell ya, Pilgrim,..." and then he will proceed to answer my question. You see, my husband and John Wayne were fraternity brothers. No, they didn't go to college at the same time, but they were in the same fraternity, and for those of you like me who haven't a clue about such things, apparently, that's all that matters.

We have John Wayne coasters on our coffee table. We have John Wayne books on our bookshelves. We have John Wayne magnets on our refrigerator. We even have a roll of John Wayne toilet paper - un-used, of course - it sits in our living room, on display.

It's funny, I've gotten so used to the fact that John Wayne is a part of our lives that I forget he's no longer living. We watch True Grit at least once a year, and we'll turn to his other movies when the mood strikes.

Now that I think of it, it's a good thing I like John Wayne too. I mean, if I didn't, I hate to say it, but I know my husband would choose him over me. And really, I'm not bitter at all. Only, don't look to closely at that life-sized cardboard cut-out of him - there may be dart holes in it.

But you didn't hear it from me.

Copyright © 2012 - Paulla Estes

No comments: