27 July 2012

DWM

It's been a long week.

We've had commitments most nights this week, and my husband worked over 60 hours. There was also a flurry of doctor appointments and paperwork that was suddenly due for our two daughters, regarding college.

This morning I awoke at 5:45, and my husband had already left for work. We've hardly seen each other at all lately.

I went downstairs and found an envelope on the kitchen table with my name on it, in his handwriting. It was odd - it didn't look like a card, but more like a business envelope. I was a little worried. Was this regarding something I probably forgot to do or worse, forgot to pay? Was he mad at me? He doesn't get mad often, or ever, really. But one never knows.

So I opened the envelope and it WAS a card.

It was a very romantic card. And when I opened it, it said, "Happy DWM."

DWM stands for "day we met." We met 21 years ago today, and to date, my husband has never forgotten. Even years ago when he was deployed with the Navy to the Persian Gulf, and even two years ago when I was at the Grand Canyon with our children. He sent a card on the trip with our youngest daughter, and she made sure to give it to me on the 27th.

So you can imagine my SHOCK when I opened the card and then in horror, looked up at the calendar. I had TOTALLY forgotten. I've never been as good about remembering it as he has, but I've never just outright forgotten.

So I did what any self-respecting girl would do. I cried.

While no one is perfect and at times we have our differences, it's things like that that make this guy the best guy in the world. To me, anyway. :)


Copyright © 2012 - Paulla Estes

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! You guys are adorable! This is too sweet!!!