28 August 2012

It's That Time of Year

We packed up and drove our youngest daughter to college in New York.


(This was temporary - we didn't drive the whole way like that!)

The drive there was uneventful, the dorm move-in smooth, and her roommate is lovely. We got there on a Wednesday and were told to leave campus (and town) by noon on Friday. But we've never been great at following directions. We stayed til Sunday.

No worries, we stayed in a hotel and stayed out of her way, for the most part. We visited with local friends, took her shopping, and on the last day, took her to church (as one friend said, we wanted to make sure she went at least once).


And I'm glad we broke the rules. She was still very wound up and nervous on Friday. It would have been a painful goodbye... for all of us. But by Sunday, she had found a little group of friends and was feeling good about it all. She even said on Sunday morning, "Mom, this already feels like home." It was much easier to drive away after hearing those words!


The only glitch? The air conditioner in our car went out while we were there, so it was a long, HOT drive home. It was in the 90s when we left, so the first half of the trip was uncomfortable, to say the least. But we survived. Now we are home, the car is in the shop, our daughter is happy in New York and it is in the 60s and raining in Maine. I guess you could say it's the way life should be. :)

Copyright © 2012 - Paulla Estes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad that your daughter is doing fine, but you didn't mention how you were doing? Hopefully better than me, we dropped our youngest off at Umass today and I'm mess. I'm thinking it's not just because he's gone (that to me is devastating), but also the transition that is taking place in our lives. Someone should teach a class on this!

Hope her adjustment goes smoothly.

Darlene

Paulla said...

Hi Darlene,

I'm sorry you're having a hard time with this! :( I think what helped us is that we stayed so long. We were there for 5 days and we only saw her for a very short time each day, but it gave us the chance to see that she had some friends and was OK. If we had left the first or second day, it would have been agony for me.

Also, I found that I grieved her leaving all summer (or maybe all during her senior year!) I think by the time it was all said and done, I was pretty much finished with the grieving process. I think my husband, however, just started it, so he's been much more sad than me.

Not that I don't miss her - I DO! She is a joy to be around and our house is so quiet now... and clean (lol).

It is a bittersweet time, for sure, and a huge transition for us. I hope your son enjoys school - my daughter's best friend is also going to UMass. :)

Big hugs -
Paulla