20 March 2013

1st Day of Spring in the Maine Woods

As promised, here are some shots of the snow that fell overnight. But first...

This was last week. Notice the absence of snow.



This is yesterday during the storm.





We awakened to blue skies, 8 inches on the ground and pesky icicles.



A perfect sunny day for a snowshoe hike through the woods.



A friend and I started on a trail that passes a stream by her home.





We trudged across a field of power lines.



And then back into the snowy woods again.









This is the trail between our homes, that I walk on all year, but after a new snow, it is simply magical.



This wasn't the way I'd have chosen to spend the first day of Spring if it were up to me. I'd have voted for a rare 70 degree day with the sunroof open and the windows down. Yet, what a winter wonderland in the simple woods by our home. I'm thankful that I got to witness it.

Copyright © 2013 - Paulla Estes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos Paulla! Not the way I would have expected the first day of spring to be, but it was beautiful. The birds are amazing! They are ready for spring too!
Becky