01 August 2013

42nd Day of Summer

August is here.

I began this "days of summer" thing on June 21 as a whim. I thought it would be fun and I needed something to keep me on task with regular posting. Summertime is the hardest because although it's the time when all the good stuff happens in Maine, it's also a busy time when I tend to be out doing rather than just writing about it.

And now I find that by counting the days, I've given myself a whole new perspective.

Ever since I was a little girl, I've thought of June, July and August as summertime. While growing up, school never lasted much past the first of June, and we didn't go back until after Labor Day.

Now that I'm all grown up and no longer live by a school schedule (that's not really true since two of my children are still in college)... ANYWAY. Now that I'm supposedly all grown up, I still think of August as the last month of summer, as if we're on the home stretch. For the school kids, we are. But for the rest of us, and for them too actually, summer goes well beyond the bounds of August.

I realized that today as I typed out the "42nd day of summer." There are about 90 days of summer, so as of August 1st, we're not even halfway there!

I don't know about you, but that is some HAPPY news in my book. :)

Copyright © 2013 - Paulla Estes

No comments: