02 August 2014

Walk to Merrymeeting Bay

That's one of the things I love about Maine - it has names like Merrymeeting and Eggemoggin and Meddybumps. It's as if we're living in a Dr. Seuss book.

But I digress.

Today I visited a friend who lives not far from the bay. She wanted me to come take a look at her gardens and then take a walk through the woods to the bay.

Let me just say that every time I go to her house I end up hating her just a little bit. Don't get me wrong, she is a VERY nice person and would do anything for anyone. She rescues animals and gives things to people and has a huge, kind heart.

But... her gardens.

She's one of those people you wouldn't describe as having a green thumb. She's got a GREEN ARM. Everything she touches not only grows and grows healthy, but grows HUGE and SPREADS and LOOKS FANTASTIC. Sometimes she even raises amazing flowers that she didn't plant. In her patch of corn that's huge, by the way, there is a wayward hollyhock growing large and spectacular.

See what I mean about the hate? I don't even have a green thumbnail. But I'm learning. And most of it is thanks to her. So I really can't hate her too much. :)

When I got there, I was greeted by her friendly, old cat, Shamus.


Then she gave me a tour of her garden. See??


After marveling over her amazingly HUGE and BRIGHT flowers, we leashed up her dogs and walked to the bay.


The tide was in so my friend's dogs enjoyed frolicking in the water while we sat and took in the view.


The walk back was peaceful and warm, yet I can't shake the constant awareness that summer is on its way out.

Sigh.

Copyright © 2014 - Paulla Estes

No comments: