Well, this is something to love…
Yes, that’s real, folks. At noon today, that was the temperature outside our kitchen window.
The powers-that-be keep telling us to expect a nasty ice storm tomorrow, but I choose to believe that the original forecast will stand – the one that promises only rain. Sure, I may be in denial, but I’ll still stand in line to buy extra milk and bread today, just in case…
Either way, on this happy occasion of temperatures in the 50s for the first time in months, my list for today covers things to love about winter in Maine.
If it seems like I’m stretching here, shame on you for thinking the worst.
Things to love about winter ~
1. The way the mid-afternoon sun streams through windows that are normally blocked by leafy trees the rest of the year.
2. The light traffic on the main streets of town (read that – the tourists are gone for the season.)
3. Skating at the local outdoor rinks.
4. The smell of woodstoves burning… and the sight of smoke puffing from a chimney.
5. Hot cocoa and popcorn after sledding or skiing.
6. Early morning frost on the trees.
7. Colorful knitted hats, scarves and gloves on children playing in the snow.
8. No guilt in spending inordinate amounts of time surfing the net or watching TV.
9. Beaches that are empty and parking lots that are free – regardless of the fact that we really don’t want to be at the beach this time of year, anyway.
10. Decent parking at the LLBean Flagship Store in Freeport. Gotta love that.
Everyone is gearing up for a serious storm, and schools are preparing for possible cancellations. That’s a GOOD thing – remember, the best way to stop a storm from coming is to cancel everything.
Have a good day, and stay safe, friends.
Copyright © 2008 - Paulla Estes