13 April 2009

Easter Monday

The reality is that we don't celebrate Easter Monday at our house. We have nothing against it, it's just that for us, once Easter is over, it's over. Though I have to say, when my children were younger, they continued hiding and finding Easter Eggs around the house for a week or more.

But I'm writing on Easter Monday because Easter Sunday was such a crazy day at our house; and not in the way you might think, with too many chocolate bunnies, fights over Easter Eggs, or being late for church. No, our Easter was consumed with underage drinking.

To be clear, my 16-year-old daughter chose to write her big, sophomore research paper on the drinking age, and whether or not it is the right age, or whether it should be raised or lowered. While it might have been an interesting teaching tool to get our teens drunk, we opted, instead, to spend lots of family time talking about all the information she had researched, and we discussed the pros and cons of both sides of the equation. (And I was kidding about getting them drunk, just so ya know).

We didn't PLAN to spend our weekend doing this, but understand that the paper was due today. Although this project was assigned EIGHT WEEKS AGO, my daughter thought it might be more interesting and fun to put it off for at least the first month. Then at about the time she finally began working on it, she was slammed with the same flu I had. But worse. Last Wednesday, she was hit with the reality that her project was due in FIVE DAYS. Panic set in and our house became similar to a college dorm during finals week. Caffeine was flowing, paper flying everywhere, and late nights. Oh, the late nights!

Thing is, I'm not in college anymore. More importantly, I'm not college age anymore. There is not enough caffeine in a convenience store that would keep me awake all night to write a coherent paper.

Now that I think of it, maybe I should have taken to drinking over the weekend. That might have given my daughter a few more things to think about.

Anyway, our Easter looked like this:

Friday night - go over notes with daughter late into the night, encouraging, proof-reading, helping with organization.

Saturday - spend all day in the Bangor area at a basketball tournament with one daughter while the other daughter stayed home working on her project. She was sure she'd have it finished that night.

Saturday night - grill burgers, continue to help and encourage daughter on project. Discover not only that she is not finished, but that she also has a biology project due the same day. Sigh heavily. Stay up until 11, lamenting the fact that I have to get up in less than 6 hours to go to the mountaintop Easter sunrise service.

Sunday morning (4:45 a.m.) - dress warmly in the dark, awaken kids, wonder why we do this, and discover that research project daughter only went to sleep an hour ago. Go to service, almost have a heart attack walking up the mountain in the cold, shiver in the wind waiting for the service to begin, and then sing songs while watching the sun peek over the horizon, remembering clearly, why we do this.

(7:30 a.m.) - arrive home with donuts, fall into the sleep of the dead for two hours.

(10:00 a.m.) - wake up to start cooking the ham and make all the food I didn't make the day before. Hear research project daughter awaken in a panic that she wasted so much time sleeping. This was also probably the low point of our day. The reality that she'd missed the sunrise service hit her, and she had what can only be called, a MELTDOWN. After we found her head and put it back on her body, I started helping her again, only to find that she still had a LONG way to go.

(2:30 p.m.) - took a break from the research project to have Easter dinner.

(3:30 p.m.) - back to work.

(4:30 p.m.) - saw son off as he headed back to college.

(5:15 p.m.) - saw other daughter off as she headed to driver's ed. (On Easter? Yeah.)

(10:00 p.m.) - on the home stretch, encouraged bleary-eyed daughter to go on to sleep and set alarm for 4:00 a.m. to do the finishing touches.

(11:00 p.m.) - fell asleep.

Today - the big project (as well as the smaller one) was finished by 8:00 a.m. and zombie daughter went to school only 30 minutes late.

Now, about that drink...

Copyright © 2009 - Paulla Estes


Connie said...

Nicole and I read your blog (me today, Nicole yesterday) and she said "you wouldn't have helped me if I left it to the last minute" she was right, she would have been on her own. Sounds like a tough weekend. We went to our new church Barabbas Road and they had a brunch after wards, it was great.

Paulla said...

Aw, Connie - you're such a meanie! ;) I was a homeschooler for too long NOT to get involved. When are you coming to Maine???

jessica said...

Its an amazing blog...
just loved it a lot
thanks for sharing information with us...

Get 28 movie channels for 3 months free