23 December 2010


It seems this December will go on record as being one of the craziest in our house... and it isn't even Christmas yet.

The highlights:

I began picking up about 3 times as many hours at the child-care center where I work, what with Christmas coming and flying our son home from Arizona. Of course that freed up all kinds of extra time for Christmas shopping and baking. Not.

Two weeks ago we got our Christmas tree, but it sat in our living room for a week before we could even think about decorating it.

Between cat #1 and cat #2 burning their toes, we had a bit of a hell week. On top of working all these extra hours while still trying to keep things afloat at home, basketball season has gotten underway, so we are going to a couple of games each week for one daughter, while the other daughter has picked up more hours at work. Translated: we are rarely home.

And that same week, what with extra meetings for school and finishing up a finance class we're taking, the icing on the cake was a lice scare. A little girl in the child-care center was found to have lice - a little girl who had been sitting in my lap that same day and who even took a play cowboy hat off her head and put it on mine.


I found this out at the end of a VERY LONG DAY, but it meant going and buying the lice treatments. Paranoid as I am about such things, I picked through the hair and forced treatment of everyone in the family. After all, I'd been around this kid all week, so who knew if I'd brought home a whole slew of lice.

Oh God.


Thankfully, we never found so much as one nit on any of us, but we all did the full treatment, and I cleaned, bagged, or sprayed everything in the house that might even remotely be an appealing resting place for a louse.

Two weeks later, still I start to itch when I think about it.

Oh, but that's not all. That same week, I fell at the child-care center. It was one of those things where I stepped on a toy and my feet just went right out from under me. What's more, I fell ON a two-year-old boy. As I was reeling from a bruised hip and a screaming child, I looked up to see a little girl, hardly walking, had vomit running down the top of her head. Someone had THROWN UP ON THAT LITTLE GIRL.

To put it frankly,... WTF?

And yes, the boy is fine, and two weeks later, my hip doesn't hurt anymore.

Just when I thought things were leveling out, that was when cat #2 burnt his paws. Good thing I'd been working more. Forget Christmas - we'd rather give all our money to our vet.

The NEXT day, my sweet daughter insisted on giving blood at the local blood drive, but for whatever reason, it hit her hard this year. Not only did she pass out, she was pretty much zombie-fied for the rest of the weekend.

But we finally decorated the tree that Saturday night at nearly midnight!

As the weekend commenced and things seemed to be looking up, we got a call that my husband's father was in ICU with bronchitis that had suddenly turned into severe pneumonia. He drove down to R.I. to help his mom and be with his dad. Thankfully, his father is home now, recovering, but it was a scary thing.

Add to all this a mixture of college application deadlines for one daughter, non-stop basketball activities for the other daughter, our son arriving in the midst of it all, and... oh yeah, I started a new job on top of the child-care place. Because you know, there just isn't enough excitement around here. We also scheduled all our family dental appointments this week because... well, why not? Oh, and I got a filling. Fun times!

* * * * *

So now I'm sitting here in the early morning hours, savoring the quiet. The Christmas tree lights are the only lights on in the house. Everyone is asleep, including all the friends who stayed over after my daughter's surprise 18th birthday party last night. Outside is a magical fresh snowfall that has delightfully promised us a white Christmas. My son is home. The food is bought. The gifts will soon be wrapped. The work week is over. School is out. The cats are healing.

I'm going to relax and read a book while the snow falls outside. And then, to add to the magic, we'll go take our old truck into the shop today, because you know, it just wouldn't be right to relax for more than FIVE MINUTES.

Copyright © 2010 - Paulla Estes


Remnant said...


My sil declared Christmas Day a "jammies day" and invited people over for sandwiches. The catch is, they have to wear their jammies. I think you need a jammies day. Or two.

Nicole said...

Where's the "like" button? :-) I always enjoy reading your blog Paulla! So glad Andy is home for Christmas! Merry Christmas!